Georgia Personal Injury Trial Attorneys

How To Remove a Parent from a Negligent Nursing Home

By: Fry | Goehring

As your parents get older and their treatment for care turns into an around-the-clock job, one great option for a better quality of life is to put them in a nursing home. At a nursing home, they can receive all their medical treatment, get all of their meals prepared and even get physical and mental stimulation with a slate of activities and opportunities to make friends. When you send your loved one to a nursing home facility, it gives you the chance to sleep easily at night knowing that they are well cared for and they will receive just as excellent—if not better—care as they would at your home.

Unfortunately, elder abuse is an ugly issue that plagues many nursing homes, and many families are constantly worrying they are leaving their loved one in incapable hands. Elder abuse cases are often difficult to spot, and, in some cases, your loved one may hesitate to tell you what’s happening (or may not have the capability to understand they’ve been abused or neglected.) Because family members aren’t around 100 percent of the time, it’s hard to know how the caretakers have been behaving in your absence.

If you suspect your loved one is in a negligent nursing home, it’s critical to act right away, so you can remove them from the situation and get them the care they deserve.


According to the Nursing Home Abuse Guide, removing a nursing home patient from a negligent situation is a painful, but necessary step. Depending on the severity of the case, you may need to call 9-1-1 to contact the local police for immediate assistance, or you may simply be able to drive to the nursing home, pick up the patient yourself and take them to their new healthcare facility.

When you are preparing to move your loved one, it is crucial for you to contact the elderly person’s healthcare team and social workers to ensure a smooth transition and to keep everyone informed of the situation.

Do you have a family member or other loved one who has experienced neglect or abuse in a nursing home setting in Georgia? You’re going to need legal representation for help during this difficult and unsettling time, to ensure the negligent party is held responsible. Reach out to the Fry | Goehring, today, at 404-969-1284, for more information about what your rights are and how to pursue legal action.